If you’re planning on doing any type of DIY or construction project, you’re going to encounter hex nuts and other metal nut types at some point. But what are the uses and benefits of metal nuts? Let’s take a look.
What are Nuts Used For?Nuts, like stainless steel nuts and sheet metal nuts, are generally used in conjunction with bolts or threaded rods to attach two different things to one another. Some industries where you may see hex nuts in use include the following:
- · Construction - The hexagonal nut commonly finds use in the construction industry for attaching different types of fixtures and building materials to one another using bolts or threaded rods.
- · Automotive Industry - In the automobile industry, nuts are essential as part of the assembly process. From the car’s exterior to the intricate moving parts, nuts are critical.
- · Machinery and manufacturing - The manufacturing industry employs nuts to attach different parts of machinery to one another using bolts, screws, or threaded rods. As a result, nuts are also a critical component in the manufacturing industry.
Benefits of a NutHexagonal nuts offer many great benefits for your project, irrespective of whether they’re stainless steel nuts or sheet metal nuts. Let’s take a look at some of the amazing advantages offered by these fasteners:
- · Durability - Metal nuts are incredibly strong and can last for decades under appropriate conditions. Even under less-than-ideal conditions, stainless steel nuts can last for a very long time.
- · Rust-resistance - Generally, metal nuts are made from substances like stainless steel, which gives them incredible resistance to corrosion.
- · Temperature-resistance - Metal nuts can typically tolerate a wide range of different temperatures, both high and low.
- · Load-bearing capacity - Generally speaking, metal nuts (especially stainless steel nuts) have the capacity to carry very heavy loads compared to their size.
Nut SizesAs you might expect, because they form the latter part of a two-part fastening system, nuts come in an array of sizes. This is because they need to cooperate with nuts, screws, and threaded rods in an array of different sizes. Metal nuts may be relatively small, as little as 5/16”, or they may be several inches large. The important thing is to ensure that the thread size matches that of the recipient. It’s interesting to note that there are also many different types of nuts serving different purposes. Some of the types, besides hex nuts, include the following:
- · Cap Nut
- · Coupling Nut
- · Flange Nut
- · Jam Nut
- · Lock Nut
- · Wing Nut